Wednesday 22 May 2013

The 5:2 bore...



OK, I promise I will stop posting about my 5:2 efforts soon – honest! My last post bored me to tears so I doubt anyone else ever read to the end of it. 
But, before I stop reporting back from 500 cal hell, let me share a story from today.
I have been on the hunt for Slim Pasta. No sign of it in our lovely independent health store, so I asked the assistant if she’d ever heard of it. Her ears pricked up when I said it is supposed to have just 7 calories per 100g – and she did a quick search, found that her supplier holds it, and my first package will now be with the store in the next couple of days.
When I explained (in a whisper) why I wanted it – “I’m doing the 5:2..." – she brightened even more.
“I’ve just lost a stone on that diet, in two months!” she said. Her target, like mine, was tummy fat – in her case post-natal fat around the middle. In my case it is an entirely different set of mischief making hormones.  
“But it’s so hard...!” I wailed.
“No – it gets easier, I promise!” she said. “The key is to find your meals and stick with the same things every fast day – instead of thinking too much about what to eat.”
This is an interesting idea, and I am hoping the slim spaghetti arrives tomorrow – in which case it will be supper with whatever really low cal sauce I can muster from the depths of my imagination.
Steve meanwhile is determined to stick to his regime of fruit and tomatoes. Though he was miserable on this on Monday, moaning that he hadn’t eaten for days (true, he’d been very busy) and had eaten nothing during the fast day either (although I unkindly pointed out that the 5 bananas nearly reached 500 calories on their own – and then there were the apples, grapefruit, tomatoes and two boiled eggs).
“But you said men can eat 600 calories,” he pointed out...
OK then.
I woke up hungry again after the Monday fast – and I swear I had exceeded my limits too.
So, bring on the skinny pasta and my new 500 menu. I will report on that, and then I will try to leave the subject alone for a while and give us all a break.


No comments: