Saturday 11 May 2013

Try this salad...


There's nothing like a fast to focus the mind on food - and this week I found myself dreaming up the best way to use a red cabbage that was languishing in the fridge, leftover from last week's Abel & Cole fruit and veg box. I came up with a Spicy Feta and Orange Slaw. Today I put it into practice, and it was just as I hoped it would be: not too sweet, not too spicy, and just the right amount of crunchy. It would almost pass muster for one of the fasting days, too - although the seeds, oil and feta would make it a challenge to eat anything else.

Spicy Feta and Orange Slaw...

Ingredients:

1/2 red cabbage, shredded finely.
2 medium carrots, grated.
Chunk of fresh ginger, grated. (I used quite a big chunk - about 2-3", but then I like spicy food).
Handful of Good 4 U chilli seed mix.
1 small orange, cut into tiny chunks.
50g Feta, crumbled.
Juice of 1 lime.
2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
Splash of walnut oil.

Method: Mix and eat. Makes 2 large portions of a main course salad, but it would also be nice on the side with some chicken or a quiche.



No comments: