Friday 2 August 2013

How not to feel hungry



Three months in to the 5:2, and how are we doing?
Not too badly, I’d like to think. We haven’t strayed from the regime, or (knowingly) cheated – tempting though it may be, I don’t see the point in sneaking a secret bar of chocolate on a fast day. I would only be cheating myself out of the chance of a trimmer body.
It has to be said, though, that the slimmer body I think I have already gained may be nothing more than emperor’s new clothes… I didn’t weigh myself at the start of this diet, and, when I did get on the scales a couple of weeks ago, I was exactly the same weight I’d been when I’d last weighed myself (2-3 years ago?) and had decided never to do it again until I was truly happy with the way I felt and looked. Well, that time had come, so, in theory I should just accept that weight and be contented with it.
And I am conscious I may be sabotaging my efforts on the non fast days. Last week I ate out at Gilbert Scott’s – three courses plus canapés, champagne and wine… Very nice crab salad, dover sole, and trifle – but a bit bland compared to the sensational skate my husband pan fried this week and served with sauté potatoes, tomato concasse, capers and samphire – the huge rustic portion awash with delicious foaming butter…. You see where I’m coming from? If nothing else the two fast days are essential respite from my usual greedy appetite.
But what everyone wants to know is how to survive a fast day without getting too hungry.
Here are some tips I’ve scrounged from a great Dr Oz posting:
. Glucomannan – it’s a actually our friend Konjac (he of the skinny pasta) again. But Dr Oz recommends it in supplement form, three times a day before meals, to bulk out the stomach and keep hunger at bay. I plan to try it!
. Grapeseed oil – now maybe this is what we should all be drizzling on our salads instead of olive oil. Grapeseed is high in linoleic acid, which slows gastric emptying so you feel full for longer. Dr Oz recommends 2 tsps 2 hours before lunch. However I have a feeling its calorie content eat into the 500 allowance… Dilemma!
. 5-HTP – this is a serotonin boosting amino acid, used to treat mood disorders and depression, but according to Dr Oz serotonin also curbs hunger. He recommends 200mg three times a day.
. Pine nuts – I like the sound of this! – Steve makes a mean mini pine nut tart which he serves as a petit four at dinner parties. But who knew that these sweet tiny nuts contain a fat that stimulates hormones to tell the stomach it’s full. Dr Oz recommends a handful everyday to keep hunger under control. Now that's something I am very ready to try.


* Picture from hyam.net

No comments: